Monday, June 18, 2012

Ogano-machi (Oku-Chichibu) Loop

Did a half day ride around Ogano Town in Saitama Prefecture on my cross bike. The course passes thru beautiful forest, rivers and mountains. I started at Ryokami Michi no Eki (両神道の駅) and followed a clockwise route to Otaki, then follow Nakatsu river taking me to an old mining town Nichitsu and loop back using R299.  This route also takes me to two mountain passes.

From Ryokami Michi no Eki, I rode K35 going south and turned west before the tunnel and followed a small tributary with a 15 kilometers of tough dirt forest road (Ontakesan Rindo) peaking at around 900+ meters. I have the road all by myself expect for a couple of motocross riders, who were racing on this track. The gravel is loose and lots of mid-size gravels making it difficult to have traction.  After the very steep descent, I joined the major road R140, which connects to Yamanashi via a long tunnel, and pass thru scenic Otaki village. I stopped by the bridge connecting to an school and took a few pictures of a 'small' river (Arakawa River). R140 splits into two and I followed the north road and then to K210 following Nakatsu River.  Along K210, there were remnants of the old road and I ride it as much as I can. These old roads, not passable by cars, is dedicated for hikers or walkers and is rewarded by picturesque views of the gorge. Would like to come back again during fall to view the kaleidoscope autumn colors.

Upstream of Nakatsu River is the old mining town of Nichitsu, mostly abandoned but still working with minimal activities. 'Do not enter' sign dotted the road. After the town, a long dark, cold and wet tunnel brings you to the other side of the mountain for a long descent to Chichibu. The entrance of the tunnel was a little bit scary because of dense fog blowing out of it. I hesitated for a moment....


Start of Ontakesan Rindo (御岳山林道)

15 kilometers of off road. This part is relatively good road.

Still climbing....

Abandoned shelter on the steep descent.

Shot from Otaki bridge (大滝)

Takizawa Dam (滝沢ダム)

Old bridge on the old road...

Old post office at old mining town Nichitsu.

No entry abounds in front of deserted buildings...

Dense fog blowing out of the tunnel after visiting the deserted town...

Inside the tunnel... cold, wet and chilly...

Resting on top of the mountain pass.

Hoyo Temple (法養寺)at Ryokami

Small garden at Ryokami.

No comments: