Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tohoku Touring 2012: Day 6

 Rain from early in the morning. This means no volunteer harvest work today.

Packed the bags and tent under the rain and cycled quickly in front of Sanlia Shopping Center for the volunteer pickup at the agree time. As expected, the harvest work is cancelled today due to rain and discussed quickly the alternatives. The decision is to visit monument and then proceed to the farm house where I will be staying for the next three days.

After a quick visit at Daiki of All Hands house, we had a quick coffee break before going to the monument being build by the dentist. First floor of his house was destroyed by Tsunami and continue to use second floor as his office. He plans to convert the first floor as gallery. I was surprise to see the person I met in my China cycling trip last year in the dentist house. At first I didn't recognise her and she was the one who mentioned we met in China. It took me a few seconds and finally I remember her as my room mate on one of the hostels I stayed. What is the probability of meeting a person again in a year from a backpacking or cycling trip? Wow! the world is getting smaller.  She now works on one for the NPO working in Ofunato. I also met another foreigner helping build the monument. After the quick visit of the monument, we drive to Higoroichi (日頃市) where the farm house is located. I was introduced to the family and also met a two volunteers (Reina and Aya). As there is no volunteer work, the host recommended that we visit a festival at a nearby town instead. The festival was inside the sweet factory, and they allowed to observed how the famous seagull egg sweet is made. The factory also offered eat-all-you-can sweets/cakes for 600yen for 20 minutes. I can only eat 4 pieces and my blood sugar went off the roof... Also watch a live concert and a local autumn harvest dance.

On the way home, we stopped by one of the hamlet and help a little bit on the festival preparation and then walked back to the farm house stopping by ChoAnJi temple. We then went to the Goyou onsen (五葉温泉) before dinner. The farm coop owner gave us a free Onsen pass.

Finished the day with a family dinner and then said goodbye to the weekend volunteers.

Message on the ongoing monument work near the dentist house in Ofunato.

Farm house when I will be staying for the volunteer work.


Too bad, these beautiful sweets will end up in the stomach.

Eat all you can for 600 yen.
Live band on the local festival.

Autumn Harvest Dance

ChoAnJi (長安寺)


No comments: