Thursday, May 3, 2012

Golden Week

Part I: Ootaki Village (王滝村)
Ootaki village is located just south of Mt. Ontake, which is the second highest volcano in Japan situated northeast of Nagoya and just recently changed status to 'active volcano'. Ootaki is the place of the famous 100km Cross Mountain Bike race (Self-Discovery Adventure). I did the 100 km loop a couple times in the past few years and also joined 2011 100 km race. Last year race was cut to 75 km due to heavy rainfall. I finished 290 out of the 307 finishers despite a broken chain on the last 8 km and have to finish by foot (and pushing the bike)...

I kind of like this place with the little hamlet overlooking the lake and always try to visit at least once a year. I wanted to join the race this spring but unfortunately conflicted with the 600 km brevet schedule. I try to see if I can join the autumn race.

Did some fun ride along the valley...

Recently created lake due to an earthquake in Ootaki (王滝村)
Spring is just arriving in Ootaki.

Next stop was Narai-juku (奈良井宿). This stop along Nakasendo had the highest spot along the Kiso route going thru the Torii Pass (鳥居峠). I followed the old trail to the top of the pass with my cross bike and found the route to be narrow and steep. One can easily fall to the deep ravines if not careful. It sure came across as one of the difficult pass of Nakasendo.

Famous bridge in Narai NakaSendo (奈良井 中山道)
On the way to Torii Toge (鳥居峠)
Taken from Torii Toge famous Tea House
Torii Toge
Full blossoms at Narai Station (奈良井駅)
奈良井宿
Reliable Sturdy Work Horse.

Part II:
In spite of the rainy forecast from mid-week, I pushed thru the plan to cycle to Gunma for a couple of days during the golden week gap (aka, working days). This is a back to back endurance ride (long and slow ride) to help build my endurance for the upcoming long brevet. It also turned out to be a good training for riding in the rain... probably too much of it.

I like riding in the rain and getting wet, as long as it is not freezing. I was happy that the temperature forecast wasn't that cold. I bought along a rain pants in case I needed the warmth and I ended up not using it. I was happy with the rain wear I had (for three season riding in the rain).

The Good:

  • Helmet rain cover
  • Clear eye protector
  • Rain Jacket with vents
  • Base layer
  • Water sports gloves
  • Shimano cycling sandal
The Bad:
  • Short front fender mud flaps
  • Feeding while riding in the rain

With the default length of the SKS front mud flaps, there are still HUGE amount of craps hitting the bottom brackets, crankset and my feet. I brought a thin rubber and extended the mud flaps to almost near the ground. This sorted out the front fender. As for the rear...


On the way to Gunma... rain, rain and rain...
Mid-way to Gunma with a rain break.
Cycling feet after 10 hours of continuous rain.




No comments: