Monday, June 25, 2012

Gando Toge & Lake Tsukui

I have been thinking for a while to ride the closed forest road on the north side of Lake Tsukui and took this oppurtunity on my ride to Gando Toge (巌道峠) using my cross bike.

It was a cloudy day and left early and plan to be back for lunch (or late lunch). I took the quickest path to the wild west using Tsurukawa Kaido and then followed the nice cycling/walking path just north of Machida Kaido until Route 16. Did a small diversion ride to Lake Shiroyama for a quick hill climb before Lake Tsukui.

The view from Lake Tsukui is great as usual with the nice twisty small road. Now for the challenging part of crossing the closed forest road, the first problem is always, 'how do you get your bike across the closed gate?'... I solved that quickly with the small opening on the right side, just small enough for people to squeeze themselves in rather than lifting the bike over the fence. The road was really bad with remnants of past small avalanches. It took great focus to traverse this small wet and slippery stone pathway and have to walk a lot, not to mention spider webs. I was rewarded with a nice waterfall flooding the road. I probably go back again during the dry winter months and without the hassle of thick vegetations.

As a transition to Gando Toge, I took the nice hilly backroads south of Lake Sagami. The climb to the pass was very nice and I have the road all by myself. There were part of the climb that was pretty steep, probably greater than 15%. GPS slope reading didn't show because the climb was too slow on the steep portion. The descent was technical, with stones, roads made into river and lots of twisty steep descents. Though the view was very nice.

I finished the ride with the hilly portion of Doshi Michi and passing a few roads off the main highway.




No comments: