Tuesday, January 8, 2013

BRM106 Kanagawa 200 Zushi (Shadow Mode)

It was midnight on Dec 7, 2012 as I waited patiently to register for this brevet via SportsEntry only to be refused registration due to full booking. I thought that was fast!  It was confirmed by one of the organiser at the end of this brevet that it just took 3.5 minutes to fill up the slots.

Anyway, I wanted to start the brevet season early and not able to booked didn't discourage me. So I did a 'shadow ride', meaning joined the brevet ride unofficially. The plan is to ride as a real brevet following all the rules (OK, not all traffic rules) except for the reflector vest. I didn't want to be mistaken as a participant but still enjoy the company of them. Without the reflector vest, I have the freedom to take shortcuts, etc and will not be subjected to my fellow official participants scrutiny/complaints. In addition, I will not give the brevet and it's organiser a bad image if I break some of the rules. It is difficult to run the brevet anonymously because I know few people and some organisers. I was recognised too quickly for comfort. 

I was joined by four other riders (Joe W, Elbert Y, Danny A, Yolie V). Except for Joe, the three are members of Tokyo PADYAK cycling group and their first experience to ride a brevet (albeit unofficially).

We started right after the brevet started around 7:10AM. We were greeted by the orange morning sun view of Enoshima. The air was crisp and the perfect view of Mt. Fuji. The pace was civilised making sure that the group stays together. The course is 50/50 split between flat and hilly, with the first 50km flat, the next 100km hilly and the last 50km flat again. 

The group tried to stayed together but from the last 10 km to the turning point (~100km control point), we were split riding our own pace in this hilly segment. We rested at the turning point and had a quick lunch before turning back to Zushi on the same route. 

I was expecting a headwind on the return leg but it was nowhere to be felt! Our ride was timed on the perfect winter day without the nasty North Wind. It was still cold but manageable. The group was still strong on the return leg and was impressed with the pace given that some of the riders are riding this long distance event for the first time! Impressive and I don't remember doing the same pace in my first 200km brevet!

We all made it back to the goal within the official time limit. That was a nice accomplishment! 

We finished with a group Ramen dinner before parting ways eager to have a good bath and sleep.



The group starting from Zushi Station.

A nice morning view of Enoshima.

The Tokyo PADYAK gang.

Castle or fancy hotel? 


No comments: