Tuesday, May 29, 2012

BRM526 Shizuoka 600km Norikura


I completed the May 26 Shizuoka 600 km Norikura Brevet with total of 7050 meters climb.

However, it wasn't a good start...

I thought I have loaded everything I needed in the car for the drive to Shizuoka. Next day early morning preparation revealed a shocking truth that I forgot my helmet! I double search all the holes/compartment in the car and hope that it is 'hidden' somewhere. I was panicky and had not come to my senses yet that I forgot. On the third round of search, I have to admit my stupidity... How can one forget the most important mandatory safety accessory for a bike event!!!

After I calmed a little bit, with my cycling wear, I went to the registration area and ready to reveal the sad news that I will DNS (Did Not Start). This was around the time of the briefing. I walk and stand behind the registration desk rather than go straight to hear the briefing. The staff notice right away why I'm not with the group and I broke the news. They were kind of surprised but responded in a professional way, even assuring me by mentioning that some folks also forget their cycling shoes (I think I came across this on some blog)... Luckily, one of the staff overheard the conversation and quickly came forward and he can lend me his helmet as he took it out from the back of his car. He warned me that it is little bit heavy. I told him that it was OK but as I accepted the helmet and able to size it up with my hands.... boy, it was really heavy!! Why should I complain... I gave my gratitude to the staff and now I can start... but, it came light also that I forgot my homemade energy bar... but that is not comparable to what just happened.

Notice the helmet? Thanks to the staff who lend me and gave me one more reason to return back at the finish line. Notice also that I didn't have my reflector vest... another time loss to turn around after the start.
I walk my bike for the bike check after rushing my final preparation. I was given the green light and off I go. I was pondering on the idea on what I should have done in case I DNS... should I go ahead with the brevet but run 'unofficially' without helmet...(nah)... should I just have a day jaunt in Shizuoka... (maybe)...  should I just go home.... as I look down to my wind breaker I notice that I didn't have my reflector vest!!!  I already cycled around 2.5 km. There is no option except to go back (rather than disqualified at night) and take the time loss. I was speculating why did the staff let me go and signed my brevet card at the inspection as I'm speeding back and try to regain the loss time. This was another fatal mistake as I was too focus on catching up and I missed a turn. Overall, I probably loss around 40 minutes total just before the first control point. I'm now officially the last person to arrive at PC1. I figured there is no need to rush while resting at PC1. It is still a long climbing days ahead and I need to focus on the proper pace alone rather than try to catch up with the faster group.

Between PC1 and PC2 is a big climb, a steep descent and followed by many up and downs. By the end of PC2 (160km), total climb is already 2,200 meters and this is just the prolog...

The famous Tenryu River Gorge (天竜峡)
As I was climbing the Niino Pass (新野峠), I started passing few riders and one of them was Suzuki-san, who I met couple of weeks ago on Kazahari Brevet, and exchange a few updates. I notice there is one lady who is sucking his wheel for reason I will know later on. Between PC2 and PC3 takes us the beautiful valley along the Tenryu River and then cross the Central Alps via climb to Gonbee Tunnel (権兵衛トーネル) and a little bit of Kiso Valley before attacking Nagamine Pass (長峰峠) northeast of Mt. Ontake. By the time I reach Nagamine Pass it was already in the evening and will be descending in total darkness at 6 degrees Celsius. Nice but cold 35 km descent to Takayama (高山) and interrupted by a small bump just before PC4.
A town along Tenryu River with Central Alps at the back (中央アルプス)
Flower garden just before the climb to Gonbee Tunnel (権兵衛トーネルの前)
Time to put warm clothes at the top of Nagamine Pass(長峰峠)

PC4 at Takayama is an unmanned checkpoint but a staff is present and confirming riders on arrival. Had a quick break and asked the staff where is a good place to sleep and the response was in 'Michi No Eki' about 20 km away or in Gero Spa around 70 km away that opens till 6:00AM. They too far away and I decided to use my familiar sleep bed, which is a sheltered bus stop, and was able to find quickly. It was a good shelter bus stop with a sliding door, big enough to put the bike inside and was warm and able to sleep for two hours. No regrets on bringing along a heavy but good soft ground blanket and a warm sleeping bag. I can sleep comfortable anywhere and anytime :)

Feeling fresh again after the sleep, it gave me some strength to climb the small hill right after Takayama and then rewarded with a long mild descent to Gero where I arrived for early breakfast. As I about to leave, I saw Suzuki-san and the lady passed by. I quickly followed them and ride/chat with them for a few hours. I learned to know more about the lady. She is turned out to be Sawada-san and is famous for:
  • One of the original Japan brevet founder and organized a brevet in Okayama herself until few years ago
  • Multiple PBP under her belt and recently PBP2011
  • Famous for not eating/drinking/sleeping much during the event
Suzuki-san, who I got to know was also PBP2011 finisher, is attending the Hokkaido 1500 km multiple brevet event this coming August and was teasing me to attend. I'm tempted but need to confirm the logistic. My curious question on to why she is always sucking wheel to one person, given her strong credentials, was revealed when she mentioned about an eye issue and Suzuki-san was guiding/accompanying her. I bid them farewell at PC5.

Dawn picture of Gero (夜明けの下呂)
The weather was great on Sunday but it was getting really hot. So hot that I'm getting sluggish and I can feel the burn in my arms and neck. I decided to buy a wide brim hat, usually used by old ladies tending farms, for sun protection as well as funnel the flow of air to my face when ascending slowly. It worked but need to be careful on fast descent. In addition, I got to entertain a bunch of riders and the organizers.

Best protection when it is hot.
The last 650+ meters climb at around 500 km was the toughest. After acculumating 6000+ meters of climb, hot, tired and sleepy, I just wish it was a flat road to the finish. But these courses were not designed by me... Just one more.... push!

I arrived at the finish line around 19:00 and official time of 37 hours 02 minutes. I returned the helmet and thank again the staff for a great event. Looking back, the course is tough but cut across many beautiful back roads, rivers, valleys, mountains passes, old towns and great people. Can't wait to have a hot spring bath.


Shots while riding...

Fishing event?

Along R420...


Beautiful sceneries...




No comments: